The Writing Centre
The Writing Centre offers one-to-one instruction to all students belonging to or taking courses in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, Faculty of Environmental Studies, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Faculty of Fine Arts, Faculty of Health, and the Schulich School of Business.
ESL Open Learning Centre
The ESL Open Learning Centre (OLC) offers support to English as a Second Language (ESL) students registered in credit courses at York University. The Centre is open to ALL York students, registered in degree programs, AND IS FREE OF CHARGE. Graduate and undergraduate students are welcome. We are constantly developing our programs to meet the needs of ESL students at York, so please stay tuned for updates. Please feel free to drop in to ask any questions or to browse our library during our office hours. Students may request help in ANY aspect of English: listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
The Learning Commons
The Learning Commons unites learning services to better support students’ academic success:
- Research Help
- Learning Skills Services
- Career Services
SPARK (Student Papers and Academic Research Kit)
SPARK is your guide to successful academic papers. SPARK modules are:
- 8 - 10 minutes each
- Focus on research, writing and learning
- Include examples, templates, videos and more
SPARK can help at any point in the preparation of your paper.
MLA (Modern Language Association)
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab gives an overview of MLA rules for citing sources. It includes sections on in-text citations, footnotes, endnotes, and the list of works cited.
- Another guide to the basics of MLA, APA, and Chicago formats is provided by the Research and Documentation site created by Diana Hacker and Barbara Fister.
APA (American Psychological Association)
- An online tutorial on the basics of APA style is provided by the American Psychological Association. Click on the link to "Basics" under "Most Popular".
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab gives an overview of APA rules for citing sources. It includes sections on in-text citations, footnotes, endnotes, and the list of references.
CMS (Chicago Manual of Style)
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab gives an overview of Chicago Manual rules for citing sources. It includes sections on footnotes, endnotes, and the bibliography.
- A quick guide to the rules for Chicago-style notes and in-text citations was developed by Kate Turabian at a site provided by the University of Chicago Press.